Skip navigation
Out of State Learning Placement Reporting

Out of State Learning Placement Reporting

Page Content



Distance education includes offering online courses as well as offering out-of-state placements/field experiences.  Offering distance education outside of the state in which an institution of higher education is located requires the institution to become authorized in each state and protectorate in which the institution intends to offer distance education (which is known as "state authorization").  Alternatively, institutions can become participating members of The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) which allows institutions to offer distance education as long as they abide by the participation agreement requirements.  USM participates in NC-SARA.

As an institution participating in NC-SARA, there are certain requirements that USM must meet. One such requirement involves providing an annual report of distance learning placements in every state or territory other than their own. Reporting the learning placements, referred to as out-of-state learning placements (OOSLP).

Though learning placements occur in a variety of disciplines, they are particularly common in certain fields, such as health-related disciplines and education. They are often a required part of obtaining a degree and/or license to practice a particular profession. Institutions do not report their in-state learning placements to NC-SARA. Only out-of-state learning placements are reported.

These activities are an important part of many academic programs and the number and extent of such placements are of great interest and concern to educators, practitioners, licensing bodies, and state regulators.


Data Submission

Below you will find a reporting guide. Please take the time necessary to review the reporting guide to ensure that your submission is completed accurately.

Reporting Guide

Please send your completed OOSLP submission to stateauthorizationsFREEMississippi 


Learning placements include activities such as clinical rotations, student teaching, internships, and other similar activities. Out-of-state learning placements can be simply defined as learning placements that occur in a state other than the home state of the institution.

  • The placement is outside the home state of the SARA institution.
  • The placement involves the physical presence of the student at the out-of-state
  • One or more of the following is true:
    • The placement is an activity required for degree completion.
    • The placement is an activity required for professional licensure.
    • The placement is offered for credit.
    • The placement is offered for a fee.

When in doubt, report the OOSLP. The intention of NC-SARA is that institutions report relevant learning activity that occurs across state lines.

Yes, both undergraduate and graduate students are reported, combined into a single number. All OOSLPs that meet the criteria should be reported for on-campus and distance education students.

At this time, virtual learning placements across state lines are not reported to NC-SARA.

Please Note: Do not report learning placements that were intended to be in-person but
occurred remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Yes, an international student’s OOSLP would be counted only if the student was physically participating in a learning placement in a U.S. state, territory or district other than the home state of the institution. An OOSLP in another country is not reported.

Issues or Concerns

If you have any issues or concerns with your OOSLP data submission, please contact us at (601) 266-4466 or email stateauthorizationsFREEMississippi