Skip navigation

DuBard School for Language Disorders

Dyslexia Therapy Master's FAQ


Program Format 

The program is in a hybrid format which includes online and face-to-face experiences. At this time, the face-to-face experiences are available on the Hattiesburg campus of The University of Southern Mississippi. 

The degree format was designed to meet the needs of working professionals. Times required to be on campus are limited to summers and three long weekends in the fall and in the spring. 

At this time, in Summer 1, the time required to be on campus is generally June and the first few days in July. The Summer 2 schedule includes online courses.

The program is 30 semester hours and may be completed in five semesters. When graduate student has successful completition of all coursework and 700 hours of practicum that is needed to graduate. 

New cohorts begin every summer (late May). 

See The University of Southern Mississippi’s Graduate School webpage for the graduate school application process. 

Applications are accepted year-round for the next cohort. 

The deadline for applying is March 1. However, students are encouraged to apply early as space is limited. 

Incomplete applications are not reviewed. 

sixteen students will be accepted in each cohort.

Either the GRE or the Praxis will be accepted. 

If you intend to provide PRAXIS scores in lieu of GRE scores, please complete the following two steps: 1) upload a copy of your official PRAXIS score report, and 2) request a departmental memo authorizing the substitution. Please note that both PRAXIS I and PRAXIS II scores are required. 

No, each application is evaluated in its entirety and a point system is used to evaluate the components of the applications. 

The DuBard School Professional Development program has been accredited by the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC) since 1998 and was one of the first four nationally accredited programs for multisensory structured language education (MSLE). Therefore, the master’s degree program is accredited by IMSLEC (

 The Master's degree program are also accredited by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) for meeting their Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading (

The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is one of 60 providers from 26 states who earned accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) for their educator preparation programs (EPPs) in spring 2021. There are now 423 providers approved under the CAEP Accreditation Standards – rigorous, nationally recognized standards developed to ensure excellence in educator preparation programs (

The methodology taught is the scientifically based DuBard Association Method® which is Orton-Gillingham based in content and principles of instruction. 

Practicum and Supervision Questions 

The first few practicum hours are earned at the DuBard School during the first semester. After that, graduate students may earn hours on the job if they are teaching in a school, or by volunteering in a school, or by providing private services at an agreed upon location. 

The students must have documentation of a diagnosis of dyslexia or poor grades in reading. Several types of documentation are acceptable including formal reports, student grade reports, teacher reports, etc. 

Typically, graduate students have enough background knowledge and hands-on experience to begin accruing practicum hours in July of the first semester. Clients must be approved by the instructor before practicum begins in order for the hours to be counted. 


Yes, at least 20 formal observations are required. These may be achieved by onsite visits to your workplace or by virtual supervision. 

Virtual supervision is done by a live or recorded viewing of the therapy sessions. 

Sessions must be at least twice a week for a minimum of 50 minutes. More frequent intervention is encouraged. 

The amount of intervention needed will vary from student to student. In general, more intervention is needed for students with more severe problems and/or students who are already several years behind in reading skill. 

It is the graduate student’s responsibility to locate students and sites for practicum. Course instructors will be happy to assist as possible. 

There are limited opportunities for graduate students to participate in the after school program, LEAP (Language Enhancement & Achievement Program). If interested, contact a course instructor from the DuBard School. 

An Incomplete (I) grade will be given for that semester, and the student must complete the required practicum hours in the following semester to remove the incomplete grade.  Once the student has met the practicum requirements for one semester, he/she may register for an additional semester of practicum this case, pending successful completion of all requirements, the degree may be awarded in December or the following May. 

Enrollment in another practicum course will be required and tuition must be paid.  

Practicum hours are an essential part of the degree program and are required to receive a degree. 


Housing Options 

For information about housing, contact:

The University of Southern Mississippi Department of Residence Life
Hickman Hall 118 College Drive #5064 Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
601.266.4783 (o)  601.266.4891(f)


In Mississippi: Graduates will be eligible for the Mississippi Department of Education Educator Licensure endorsement #203 for dyslexia therapy. 

National: Graduates also will be eligible to sit for the ALTA Competency Exam for MSLE which, when successfully completed, will lead to eligibility for the Certified Academic Language Therapist (CALT) national credential and membership in the Academic Language Therapy Association (ALTA).  We offer this twice a year.

Graduates of the program will be able work in public and private schools, clinics and private practice…wherever struggling readers are in need of specialized therapy for intervention.

Contact Us

DuBard School for Language Disorders
118 College Dr. #5215
Hattiesburg, MS 39406

Hattiesburg Campus

Campus Map