College of Education and Human Sciences
Since fall 2019, four cohorts of undergraduate students have served as teacher residents while completing their bachelor’s degrees at Southern Miss. Compared to a traditional 14-week student teaching experience that covers only a portion of the ongoings in a school, teacher residents experience a full school year in an elementary classroom. Teacher residents are mentored by professional teachers during the process and many graduate college with job offers already secured in the districts where they served.
- For Undergraduate Students Studying Elementary Education
- 1 Year Program During Senior Year (Fall and Spring Semesters)
- Full Academic Year Residency Experience in Local Elementary Classroom
- College Classes Completed Online
- Qualified Applicants Interview with Partnering Districts as Part of Selection Process
Every day is a new learning experience. The staff of teachers and administrators around me at my placement have pushed me to step outside of my comfort zone and discover strengths in myself as a teaching candidate that I never would have discovered without the special opportunities this program offers.Undergraduate Resident