Make a Difference: Teach Students with Special Needs!
Special Education teachers are in high demand. They work collaboratively with students with disabilities and those at-risk for developing a disability, student's families, general education teachers, and other related service providers. We offer graduate degrees at the masters, specialists, and doctoral levels. Students may complete coursework leading to Mississippi licensure in Mild/Moderate Disabilities, Emotional/Behavior Disorders, Severe Disabilities, or Gifted Education.
What Will I Learn?
Special Education advanced degrees equip graduates with skills, knowledge and experiences to lead other teachers and professionals serving students with disabilities needing individualized education programs.
You will learn to:
- Promote high expectations and achievement among students with and without disabilities using various interventions
- Provide solutions for academic and behavioral needs based on data
- Implement evidence-based high leverage practices
- Integrate didactic and experiential training with research
- Design and implement evidence-based special education programs
- Interpret educational testing
Professional Licensure Disclosure
Programs at the University of Southern Mississippi that prepare students for advanced licensure in the field of special education are designed to meet the licensure standards set by the Mississippi Department of Education. Students seeking licensure in another state are advised to contact the appropriate licensing board in that state to determine specific requirements of guidelines for reciprocity. The University of Southern Mississippi cannot confirm whether a particular licensure program meets requirements for licensure outside of the State of Mississippi. For a list of the state departments of education that oversee professional teaching licensure, see the U.S. Department of Education website - State Contacts page.
For questions, please contact Dr. Hollie Filce at Hollie.FilceFREEMississippi
- Special Education Teacher
- Special Education Director
- Behavior Specialist
- Educational Interventionist