A PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
Graduate students, are you interested in developing skills that will make you more
marketable and effective in the workplace? During the 2021-22 academic year, the Graduate
School will sponsor “Professionals in Preparation”, a professional development program to help you improve those “transferable skills”
that will set you apart from others in the increasingly competitive job market. Transferable
skills include those abilities that cross disciplines, such as leadership, effective
communication, ability to problem solve and manage projects, professionalism, and
others. Students may choose the option to earn a digital badge with successful completion
of the program.
Professionals in Preparation is a two-semester professional development program consisting
1. Seminars and workshops which will be held approximately twice monthly from noon
to 1:00 p.m. on Fridays during August – November 2021 (7 sessions) and January – April
2022 (7 sessions). Participants are expected to attend. Sessions will include:
- interviewing tips
- effective communication
- publishing and peer review
- etiquette and presence
- interpersonal skills
- ethics and integrity in scholarship
2. Mentorship training
- Mentorship workshops including case study discussions with faculty experts will provide
training on managing real life situations that may occur between faculty and their
3. Participation in Graduate School communication competitions (required):
- Three Minute Thesis: To be held November 3-5, 2021. Participants will compete in the annual 3MT competition
which requires them to present the importance of their research to a general audience
in less than three minutes. Participants will compete for the title Grand Champion
and significant prize money.
- Susan A. Siltanen Graduate Student Research Symposium: To be held Thursday, April 14, 2022. Participants will submit an abstract and present
their research during the annual symposium. PIP students may compete with other graduate
students for prizes for best presentations in specific categories.
Complete the application. You should be prepared to upload a brief CV (limit 3 pages) and letter of support
from your graduate committee chair.
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year are now closed.
For more information, contact Shaadi Shoubaki (Shaadi.ShoubakiFREEMississippi).
Professionals in Preparation Digital Badge:
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will have the option to receive
a digital badge that can be affixed to digital CV’s or résumés, LinkedIn, and other
social media accounts. The badge links to a description of the skills learned as a
part of the program and provides a digital credential that can be viewed by prospective
employers, hiring committees, and others who will be interested in your preparedness
for the workforce. For students choosing the digital badge option, the cost of the
program is $100. A link to the digital badge application will be provided upon request.
Payment of the $100 fee must accompany the digital badge application.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can students not on the Hattiesburg campus apply to the Professionals in Preparation
program? Yes, we use IVN to connect with students at the Gulf Park campus and research sites
who cannot attend every meeting in-person and for certain workshops and seminars.
There are some events that will require in-person attendance. A schedule will be available
- What if I am working on a research project or assignment? Will presenting on this
work meet the communication competition requirement? Yes, presenting on a project rather than a thesis will not be a problem. You will
still be required to present your research at both the Three-Minute Thesis and the
Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- What is a digital badge? A digital badge links to a permanent description of the skills learned in the program
and provides a credential that can be viewed by prospective employers. It can be added
to your curriculum vita, résumé, LinkedIn account, or other social media accounts.
- Is there a cost associated with the digital badge? For students choosing to earn the digital badge, the cost of the program is $100.
A link to the badge program will be provided upon request.