An authorized individual will be required to sign a contract that outlines the conditions
listed in this policy.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
This policy is required for the effective communication of university policy regarding
prom or dances.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All members of The University of Southern Mississippi community.
Website Address for this Policy
- $500.00 security deposit will be due up front to secure space.
- Balance is due one week prior to the event.
- Should extensive clean-up be needed following the event; security deposit will be
forfeited and group will be responsible for custodial fees assessed. Group will be
responsible for any damage occurring during event.
- Must obtain two University Police Officers for event per 100 students. Charge will
be $32.00 per hour. Officer will be on duty thirty minutes prior to start of event
and should remain thirty minutes following the event. If using volunteer officers,
name, phone number and badge number provided to this office one week in advance. Volunteer
must be in uniform.
IF AN ATTENDEE APPEARS TO BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER
THE FACILITY AND THE DESIGNATED CHAPERONE IN CHARGE WILL BE NOTIFIED. COCHRAN CENTER
STAFF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ASK ATTENDEES TO LEAVE IF THEY APPEAR, AT ANYTIME, UNDER
- Minimum of 10 adult chaperones per 200 students are required to be on hand during
the event. Minimum of two must be present while decorating the morning of event. A
cell phone number of a key contact person will be required.
- One chaperone should be stationed at every entrance and on every level to be determined
by Cochran Center staff.
- Students may not exit and then re-enter the facility during the dance. Exception will
be made for taking photographs prior to the event.
- All students will enter the facility through the North West entrance from the Visitor’s
Lot. Elevators must be taken to third floor. A chaperone will operate and remain
in each elevator to ensure access to the third and ground floors only.
- Event contact person should provide a final count of attendees one week prior to the
- All decorations must be approved by Event Services manager. Decorations can not be
attached to the walls or ceiling. All decorations should be free standing or on tables.
NO glitter, confetti or Mylar balloons are allowed. Additional set up time will require
one-day rental fee.
- Room will be available for decorating beginning at 8:30 a.m. the day of the event
at no extra charge. Please notify the Event Services office of the planned start time.
- Tables and chairs will be provided at no charge. Set up/equipment needs should be
finalized two weeks in advance.
- Cancellations must be made one month in advance or the deposit is forfeited.
- Changes must be made one week in advance to avoid charges.
- No outside catering is allowed. Contact Southern Miss Catering at 601.266.5552 or
visit their Web site at https://southernmisscatering.catertrax.com/ for menu options.
- Retain this copy for your records.
- THE EVENT SERVICES OFFICE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE NECESSARY CHANGES.
Failure to follow all guidelines will result in loss of deposit and ban on hosting
future events in the Thad Cochran Center.
The Director of University Union and Hub is responsible for the review of this policy
every four years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
Amendments: Month, Day, Year – summary of changes
11/01/11: Formatted for Institutional Policies website.
02/27/13: Formatted for template. Minor editing throughout.