Responsible University Administrator: Vice President for
Finance and Administration
Responsible Officer: Chief Information Officer
Origination Date: 12/1/14
Next Review Date: 12/1/18
End of Policy Date:
The University of Southern Mississippi provides workstation backup capabilities for
current faculty and staff through Eagle Backup.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
This policy is required for the effective communication of university policy regarding
use of Eagle Backup.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All members of The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) community who use Eagle
Website Address for this Policy
1.0 Pricing Options
- 1.1 The University of Southern Mississippi provides workstation backup capabilities
for current faculty and staff through Eagle Backup. Eagle Backup will automatically
back up the files on your university owned computer to the USM network while your
computer is turned on and has an internet connection.
- 1.2 The fees for the use of this service are assessed according to the amount of data
used. The cost is charged for each faculty or staff member using Eagle Backup.
- 1.3 Related charges may be found under Eagle Backup on the iTech Website.
- 2.1 Eagle Backup usage is tracked via the Pinnacle Billing System used in iTech. If
the request is for 0-50GB, a $0 (no charge) item will be reflected on the department’s
PinnWeb invoice to identify each person/user in that department utilizing Eagle Backup
services. For this reason, chart field/budget strings are required for each request
for Eagle Backup services.
3.0 User Responsibility
- 3.1 Individual users/persons utilizing Eagle Backup services are responsible for the
- a. Changes to the backup profile that vary from the default setup;
- b. Verifying that their backups are being executed as expected;
- c. Notifying the Help Desk for assistance if requested quota is exceeded or if backups
cease to occur;
- d. Notifying iTech when moving to a new department and informing iTech of a change
to the chart field/budget string assigned for any and all Eagle Backup charges.
4.0 Maximum Number of Devices
- 4.1 The maximum number of devices per user account allowed to use Eagle Backup services
is four (4).
- 4.2 Additional user accounts are not supported; one user account per employee.
5.0 Mobile Device Client Option
- 5.1 While a user’s mobile devices cannot be backed up, these devices will have access
to view all data backed up from a workstation under his/her user profile.
- 5.2 The use of a PIN for the mobile device client option is required.
- 5.3 If a mobile device is stolen, all data for that user profile is accessible by
the person that has taken control of that mobile device if the PIN number has been
6.0 Backup-up Schedule
- 6.1 The devices using Eagle Backup are backed up every four hours. If a device misses
the scheduled back up by being turned off or offline, the device will be backed up
when it is powered back on or returns online.
- 6.2 Customers are allowed to modify how often their device(s) may be backed up.
7.0 Data Retention
- 7.1 If a person deletes a file from a workstation that utilizes Eagle Backup services,
the deleted file can be restored for up to 30 days before the file is no longer available.
- 7.2 Weekly backups are retained for three (3) weeks.
- 7.3 Monthly backups are retained for one (1) month.
8.0 Files Eligible for Backup
- 8.1 On a Windows machine, all files in the Desktop and Documents folders are backed
up by default, along with all Outlook email, Microsoft Office templates, Internet
Explorer favorites, and system settings. Additional folder locations can be added
through the backup client.
- 8.2 For Mac computers, all files in the Desktop and Documents folders are backed up
by default, along with all Outlook email and system settings. Additional folder locations
can be added through the backup client.
- 8.3 For Linux computers, all files in the Desktop folders are backed up by default,
along with all Thunderbird email. Additional folder locations can be added through
the backup client.
9.0 File Exclusions
- 9.1 No executable files will be backed up using Eagle Backup.
10.0 Prohibited Files
- 10.1 Individuals must not use the service for the following types of files:
- a. Files that are prohibited by law
- b. Files which contain Protected Health Information as defined in 45 CFR 160.103,
where ‘CFR’ means ‘Code of Federal Regulations’
- c. Files which contains the full primary account number of a payment card
- d. Files containing unencrypted CampusID password or other University account authentication
- e. Malicious Software
11.0 Restoring Files
- 11.1 Users will be able to restore a file from the workstation backup in the following
- a. through the backup client on their computer or mobile device; or
- b. through the assistance of the Help Desk (601.266.HELP (4357))
12.0 Service Limitations
- 12.1 Southern Miss iTech cannot be held responsible for loss of information or files.
The Chief Information Officer is responsible for the review of this policy every four
years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
To request Eagle Backup, submit the Eagle Backup Request Form found on the iTech Self Service Portal.
To request changes to existing Eagle Backup Service, (increase quota, decrease quota,
or account delete), submit the Eagle Backup Change Request Form found on the iTech Self Service Portal.
For further information, see the Eagle Backup Services page found here: