Center for Logistics, Trade, & Transportation
The Center for Logistics, Trade, and Transportation (CLTT) provides a competitive advantage to logistics and supply chain industry and government agencies through its multidisciplinary activities in Logistics, Trade, and Transportation. Logistics, Trade and Transportation encompass the movement of goods and people (logistics) through the most efficient means (inter-modal transportation) to achieve economic development (trade). The creation of the Center for Logistics, Trade and Transportation is the result of an integrated effort of industry, government and The University of Southern Mississippi.
- USM's CLTT provides applied research for the growing transportation and supply chain industry. Both the private and public sector can benefit from working with the CLTT.
- USM Offers an interdisciplinary master's degree program which helps fill the void of qualified job candidates in the transportation and supply chain sectors--annually, some 100 jobs in Mississippi and another 2,200-plus in Gulf South states.
Meeting the challenge
The United States relies on a complex and ever-growing inter-modal transportation system--that is, a system using multiple modes, primarily tractor-trailer trucks, rail cars, airplanes and barges and container ships.
With imports and exports increasing, the container cargo shipping industry is expected to double by 2020, creating a strain on the rest of the nation's transportation systems and the need for more efficiency and innovation. Rising fuel prices, increased trade with Latin America and the future expansion of the Panama Canal will be an opportunity and a challenge for the logistics, trade and transportation industries of the U.S. Gulf Coast.
The CLTT performs the following services:
- Data-driven Solutions with Applied Research: Freight System, International Trade, Economic Development
- Networking and Partnership: Government, Military, Industry, Universities
- Education and Training: Master’s Program in Logistics, Trade, and Transportation