Southern Opera and Musical Theatre
The Southern Opera and Musical Theatre Company regularly offers students opportunities to perform in opera and musical theatre productions, as well as recitals and concerts. Fully staged productions have included Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, Mary Poppins, Carmen, The Mikado, and Rigoletto.
This past year’s opera and musical theatre stage productions were by all accounts, “epic.” From the landmark, sold-out production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera to Puccini’s masterwork, Turandot, which was presented in a joint production with the Mississippi Opera. Turandot was the largest operatic production ever produced in the state of Mississippi and completed a banner year for the Southern Opera and Musical Theatre Company.
Why Choose the Southern Opera and Musical Theatre Company at Southern Miss?
- Over 40 faculty members of dedicated teacher-artists
- Professional voice teachers and stage directors
- An active opera program producing multiple fully staged productions each year
- Frequent master classes and performances by musicians of international stature
Sunday, August 21 (Starting at 2 p.m.)
Prepare two contrasting selections of the musical theatre repertoire that best represent you and the character you are interested in portraying. (approx. 16 measures)
Prepare two contrasting arias from operatic repertoire that showcase your abilities within your voice type.
Musical Theatre and Opera
Prepare two contrasting selections - one from musical theatre and one from operatic repertoire. Be prepared to sing additional songs from either genre.
- Accompanist provided. Callbacks will be announced as necessary.
- Registration will require you to submit digital photo/headshot and resume.