Counseling Psychology Program Highlights
- The Counseling Psychology program was recently ranked #1 in the country by www.counselingpsychology.org based on being the only Counseling Psychology Program in the country which can boast
a 100% pass rate on the Examination for the Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP
is the national licensure exam for psychologists)
- We maintain high standards and have been an APA accredited program since 1985
- Students are enrolled full time on the Hattiesburg campus; there are not opportunities for part-time study or online
Comprehensive Clinical Training
- Our in-house clinic offers close faculty supervision and contact with a diverse mix of college student and community clients.
- Specialty training is available in anger management, career counseling, motivational interviewing, and parenting skills.
- Our strong connections with the community also provide students with diverse training experiences at inpatient and outpatient
mental health facilities.
- Over the past 15 years, approximately 90% of our doctoral students have obtained APA-accredited internships on the first application, with the majority securing their 1st or 2nd choice of placement.
- Research teams meet regularly and offer students individualized mentoring with faculty members
- Graduate students engage in all aspects of the research process including presentations at national conventions and publications in top-ranked journals in the field
- Applied research opportunities are available which demonstrate the benefits of the
- The program fosters an atmosphere of collaboration and collegiality.
- Our doctoral students receive coursework and practicum experience in clinical supervision
and have the opportunity to provide supervision of novice peers.
- Undergraduate teaching opportunities are available for those students interested in academic careers.
- Our students are actively involved in research teams and professional organizations such as the American Psychological Association (APA), Society of Counseling Psychology
(Div. 17), Mississippi Psychological Association (MPA).