Getting Started with Proposals
Proposal Submission Procedures
The general procedures for submitting proposals are listed below. Each college/unit
may have additional procedures for proposal development and submission.
- Contact ORA for assistance in identifying funding sources and acquiring guidelines on specific programs and development of a preliminary and/or
- After completing a rough draft of the proposal, contact ORA to set up an appointment
to discuss and develop the budget, receive guidance on completing required forms,
and get answers to any remaining questions before submitting the formal proposal.
- All proposals the University submits on behalf of faculty/staff must receive internal
approval by completing the Proposal Information Form in conjunction with the electronic routing provided through InfoEd Global. For assistance, please contact the ORA Coordinator or Administrator assigned to your department; or call 601-266-4119 or email ora-pamFREEMississippi.
- To serve you most effectively, we ask that you deliver the completed proposal to ORA
5-10 working days prior to the submission deadline. Most proposals are submitted to
the sponsor electronically, but when necessary ORA will copy and mail proposals. The
project director should verify with ORA staff whether they have all the necessary
information for processing the proposal.
- Award notification or declination generally takes several months. If the project director
receives agency correspondence about the proposal, please check to ensure that a copy
was forwarded to ORA.
- Should you receive a declination, we highly encourage you to obtain the "reviewers'
comments" on your proposal. Some agencies will send them automatically, but some sponsors
require you to request them in writing to receive them from the funding source. Foundations
may be reluctant to share this information, but you should always ask. In addition,
if you are notified personally concerning the status of your proposal, please forward
this information to ORA in order to insure proper continuation or closure of the account.
Additional information is available on our FAQs page.
For information on ORA workshops, webinars and other events, contact our Information Specialist at sponsoredprogramsFREEMississippi or (601) 266-5054.
You will find more resources on our Forms and Budget page, on our home page under "Frequently Needed Information", and on the pages linked
in the left-hand menu. Our Assistance Navigator is designed to help you locate the items you need on our website.