Student Success Library
Tips and Resources from The Center for Student Success
Student Success Library
The Student Success Library is designed to provide access to success materials on demand. Topics covered include improving study and note taking habits, learning how to improve time management, thinking critically for college level courses, and setting goals to keep yourself motivated.
We encourage you to use these resources on your own but to make the most of them consider making an appointment with a staff member!
How to Write an Effective Email
Sometimes you are going to need to contact your professors outside of class, and you’ll usually do that by email. You might not have thought much about how to write an email, but you should. You'll have a much better interaction if you follow a few simple guidelines.
The Center for Student Success Printables
Learn the four important steps to a great study session designed to facilitate long term retention and help you avoid mental fatigue.
Clarify your ideas, focus your efforts, and use your time and resources productively to increase your chances of achieving what you want in life.
Learn how to use your time effectively with these tips from NSRP!
Do you believe that your skills and abilities can be improved in small increments? Learn how to develop a "growth mindset."
Check out these quick tips for improving your reading skills!
Critical thinking leads to better grades and better habits of mind. Follow these tips to get better at it.
Establish good study habits early to make the most of your college education.
Unlock the secrets of better note taking with the seven Rs!
Streaming Platform Quick Start Guides
- Review the University Advisement Center’s Guide to Course Completion
- Watch the Office of Online Learning’s Online Orientation Video to learn more about using Canvas
- If you have questions about academic advisement, complete the University Advisement Center’s Ask-An-Advisor form
- Many support offices are offering online sessions and tutoring through a shared platform. Make appointments here.
- Check the Success Library often for additional materials on how to succeed. New resources are uploaded daily.
- Having issues with wifi access at home? View our guide to wifi hotspots in Mississippi.
The Study Cycle
Narrated PowerPoint presentation on Bloom’s Taxonomy, The Study Cycle, Intense Study Sessions, and Active Learning Strategies.
"It is not enough to be busy.... The question is, what are we busy about?" - Henry David Thoreau
Learn how to adjust your mindset to improve your academic outcomes.
Metacognition: Thinking About Your Thinking
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein
Note Taking Strategies
Learn about five different strategies for taking effective notes in class.