Office of Sustainability
Office of Sustainability
Campus Race to Zero Waste is coming to the Southern Miss campus from January 31st through March 31st. This event is a national recycling and waste reduction competition for colleges across the U.S. and Canada. The goal of the competition is to engage and motivate students and staff to reduce waste and increase reuse and recycling efforts.
You can do your part by eliminating single-use plastics and carrying reusables such as coffee mugs, water bottles, and shopping bags. Toss your recyclable waste into a blue bin which is located in every classroom, office space, and dorm room on campus. For details on “what’s recyclable” click here: https://www.usm.edu/sustainability/recycling_services
· February 13th – 17th: Caught Green-Handed If you are “caught” recycling or exhibiting other sustainable behaviors, you will be awarded a reusable tote and a prize of your choice.
· February 23rd: Campus Clean-Up Join the Institute for Disability Studies, the Office of Sustainability, and the Eco-Ambassadors as they team up to conduct a campus-wide clean-up. Grabbers, gloves, bags, and safety vests will be provided. Participants will meet at 10 am at Shoemaker Square.
· March 1st: Learn the Label Join us at Shoemaker Square as we educate how to properly recycle materials. We will explain terminologies such as ‘Wish’cycling and ‘Pre’cycling, the differences in plastics, and what not to put in our recycling bins. Play recycling games for prizes and get free swag!
· March 13th – 17th: Spring Cleaning If you work on campus, now is the time to go through those old files. Our recycling staff will arrange special pickups of large amounts of material which will help divert your waste from the landfill and into the recycling stream and reduce your carbon footprint.
We ask that all recyclables be boxed or bagged for easy transport (bags and boxes available via the Office of Sustainability) and that you have everything ready at your scheduled time. Please do not include documents containing confidential information unless they are already shredded.
· March 20th – 24th: Mugshots WANTED: Reusable Mugs! Our staff will be out on campus scouting for anyone using reusable mugs. Get your “mugshot” taken with our fun photo backdrop to be displayed on social media and win a prize.
· March 29th: Recycling Olympics Here’s your chance to be an Olympic athlete without having to travel overseas! Join us on Weathersby Lawn from 11 am-1 pm and participate in Olympic-style events with a recycling twist. Seymour will be there on the sidelines to cheer you on for a chance to win prizes!
· March 30th: Pledge Drive. Visit us at Shoemaker Square between 11 am – 1 pm to sign our pledge to recycle. Learn what is and is not recyclable, play recycling games for prizes, and get free swag!