It is the mission of the Southern Miss Physical Plant to provide a safe, secure and enriching environment, in an effective and efficient manner, consistent with the university vision, mission and values.
Work Order Submission
Work orders may still be placed through this website and will be processed remotely,
Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Non-emergency work orders will be prioritized
and processed by the trade area supervisor as man-power permits.
All other emergencies (danger to life, limb or property) that take place after hours on holidays or weekends should be reported to the University Police Department at 601.266.4986.
Transportation Services (Motor Pool)
Transportation Services Fuel Station is open Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and again from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. To reach the office, please call 601.266.4465
- Click HERE to place a Transportation Services work order.
The Physical Plant strives to construct an environment conducive to the education, research and service goals of The University of Southern Mississippi. All projects initiated and managed by the Physical Plant are intended to address the tenets established by the University Master Plan. Last approved by the IHL board in 2008, the plan addresses the following:
-Ensuring the physical campus setting continues to strengthen the quality of the collegiate
-Reforming and reshaping residential life through creation of vibrant living/learning districts
Regenerating the historic core as the heart of campus
-Promoting a strategy for growth that organizes development in accordance with existing campus districts
-Maintaining a respectful, engaged relationship with the city of Hattiesburg
Projects, Renovations and Upgrades In Progress
- Demolition of Houses & Trailers Completion Date: Ongoing
- Energy Reduction Retrofit Completion Date: Ongoing
- Forrest Avenue Sewer Line Replacement Completion Date: TBD
Projects on the Horizon
- Hickman Hall Renovations
- Coliseum Roof Renovation
- Fritzsche-Gibbs Hall Renovations
- Owings - McQuagge Roof Renovation
- Criminal Justice/Kinesiology Renovation
- Hillcrest Parking Lot Project
- Southern Hall Renovations
- Memorial Drive
- Forrest Avenue Pedestrian Plaza
Are you planning an event on the Hattiesburg campus? If so, don't forget to place a work order at least three working days before the event.
Things to consider:
- Will you need assistance from our landscape team, who will have to approve the location of a stage, tent and any other equipment to be used on a lawn?
- Will you need electrical support or stand-by service?
- Will you need trash cans or stand-by custodial services?
- Does the HVAC schedule of the event location need to be adjusted for the date and time of your event?
If any of the above are true, please submit a work order with specific details about the event and list how we can support your event.
Looking to get involved on campus? The ADOPT A SPOT Program is the perfect choice for you. Individuals and organizations can help keep Southern Miss beautiful by adopting an area and pledging to keep it clean at least once per semester.
Click here to apply or for more info: https://www.usm.edu/physical-plant/adopt-spot-program.
At the end of FY 2016, Southern Miss, along with other IHL member institutions, completed a 10-year energy reduction initiative. As of June 30, 2016, the university has reduced energy consumption by 31% and realized a cumulative cost avoidance of $16,506,140 for electric and gas usage during the initiative.
FY18 energy use per gross square foot (GSF) increased 1.1% from FY17. FY18 campus energy costs per GSF slight increase of 0.2% from previous year. The colder winter caused an increase in natural gas usage offsetting electrical savings.
FY18 water usage index decreased 7.2% from previous year resulting in 9.1% GSF cost reduction from previous ye