Artistic and Intellectual Excellence in Theatre
The BFA in Theatre is geared for those students focused on future careers as performers, technicians, designers.
The BA in Theatre promotes a broad array of coursework with a flexible approach to specialization for a more comprehensive and well-rounded education in theatre studies. The BA is particularly appropriate for young directors, stage managers, and dramaturgs. This degree plan balances analysis and creativity with the awareness of theatre's importance to society.
The University of Southern Mississippi in an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre.
What Will I Learn?
In a production-oriented environment, students take courses in:
- Design & Technology, including Lighting and Sound, Costuming, and Scenery
- Theatre History
- Professional Preparation
- A selection of additional coursework tailored to individual student interest.
The theatre program offers scholarship consideration to students who complete their online registration, attend "Curtain Up Welcome Day", and complete a successful audition/interview. Service awardees must complete 15 hours of service for the program each semester by working the High School Drama Festival and other activities.
The highly exclusive and competitive scholarships are awarded by the theatre faculty for talented and needy students. These awards range from $100-$8,000.
USM Foundation Awards
The USM Foundation administers a variety of scholarships for eligible students through a scholarship application system that has many useful online features and benefits. Students can easily search, review requirements, apply and accept awards for available scholarship opportunities. Interested students can apply for all scholarships administered by the USM Foundation using this online application. Students are required to complete the application only once each academic year. Students will be considered for one of these scholarships after successful completion of their freshman year. Apply for scholarships
- Travel and exposure to the broader world of theatre are critical to the development of actors. Southern Miss is an active participant in our ten-state region in both the Southeastern Theatre Conference and the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival.
- The Study Abroad programs Southern Miss rank among the best in the country, and its five-week British Studies program features internationally renowned guest artists in musical theatre, Shakespeare and contemporary drama. Two-week programs in London Theatre and in the Performing Arts at the Edinburgh Festival in Scotland have been offered as well. All of these credit programs are eligible for financial aid. Noncredit travel is also available: the New York Theatre Tour and the London Theatre Tour delight students and community members during spring break. Southern Miss theatre students who take advantage of these extraordinary learning opportunities may be better prepared to enter the professional world.
|Step 1||Apply to the University. To apply for acceptance into the undergraduate Theatre program at Southern Miss, you must apply to the University.||Apply|
|Step 2||Perform an audition and interview. You must also audition as part of the application process.||See details below.|
The theatre program hosts a "Curtain Up Welcome Day," for prospective students to perform their audition and interview.
The day begins after Black and Gold Day, hosted on November 9, and will include the following schedule of events:
- Introduction to the program
- Guided tours to prospective students and their families
- Individual meetings with department faculty to learn more about programs of study
- In groups, students will audition and/or interview.
For this aspect of the day:
- Actors should prepare a 1-minute monologue entirely of their choosing, from any genre, style or period.
- Actors may follow their monologue with 16 bars of a song of their choosing (a cappella only please), but singing is not required for audition.
- Designers, directors, dramaturgs and stage managers should provide their portfolios for a portfolio review and interview with departmental faculty.
**All participants are encouraged to provide resumes and other supporting documents that best represent their work.
Southern Miss Theatre creates innovative spaces to thrive in a virtual format: transforming Hartwig Theatre with green pods to livestream productions in real-time and bringing together actors and their performances through the use of technology and Lumion, a 3D rendering software.
- Stage Manager
- Carlos Nine, 2012
Entertainment Tech lead/lighting designer at King's Dominion; graduate student at Texas State University.
- Chris Marroy, 2010
Freelance actor in Los Angeles; member of SAG/AFTRA.
- Kaylyn Kriaski, 2015
Stage manager at Orlando Shakespeare Theatre; company management intern at Hanger Theatre.
We can't wait to welcome prospective students to Curtain Up! Here, you will meet faculty and students representing the many degree programs and production areas!