Handshake is our online career center database that allows you to search for all part-time
employment needs such as on-campus jobs (wage and work-study), off-campus jobs, temporary
jobs, summer jobs, and full-time opportunities.
In Handshake you are able to:
- Search jobs using your specific criteria.
- Get more information about the job(s).
- Learn how to apply for the jobs of your choosing.
- Create, and save searches.
- Create email alerts for new opportunities using your specific criteria.
We do not place students in a job, we only provide information about job availability.
It is up to the student to apply and follow up with the position.
Through Handshake, you can post resumes in your profile to be viewed by employers,
search the employer database, see upcoming career events, and view on-campus interview
To login to your Handshake account:
- Click the 'Handshake' button above
For on campus access:
- Click the blue “The University of Southern Mississippi” button
- A window will pop-up asking for your login information.
- Type “w” and your student ID number (example: w123456) and your SOAR password
OR For off campus access:
- Type first name.last name email (example: email@example.com) click next
- Then enter your SOAR password and click Sign in
- You will need to verify your email to sign in.
- Update your information in “My Profile” on the left
- Upload a current professional resume, Handshake will automatically populate your education
and work experience from your resume
- Add any organization/extracurricular, relevant courses, and projects to complete your
- Make your profile viewable by clicking
SEARCH FOR JOBS
- Click on 'Jobs' at the top menu bar
- Select your specific criteria by checking on the filter boxes in the expandable menus
in the column under 'My Favorite Jobs'
- Save your searches by clicking on 'Save these filters' in the top, middle of the page
and name it
- Select a '*Favorite' job and it will appear at the top of your job page
- You can create email alerts that will notify you when new opportunities are posted,
matching your search criteria
*AVOID SCAM JOBS AND EMPLOYERS! PROTECT YOURSELF!