Welcome to the new site of the Frances A. Karnes Center for Gifted Studies! We are still maintaining updates on our blog page while this site is continuing to be built.
The Center for Gifted Studies was established in 1979 through the efforts of Dr. Frances A. Karnes to bring the educational needs of gifted students in Mississippi to the forefront of educational policy development through advocacy, research, and provision of services for high-ability students. Twenty years later, Dr. Karnes’s “tireless, unwavering determination” had galvanized the Center’s reputation as a consistent frontrunner in the development of enrichment and talent development programs. The Center was renamed in her honor in 1999.
Today the Center flourishes as it strives to reach its vision of becoming one of the Southeast’s most prominent and effective homes for Gifted Studies. This vision is paired with our mission to strengthen gifted education in Mississippi, throughout the nation, and globally by continuing to uphold four stringent performance standards:
- Outstanding programming for children and youth that enhances the opportunities available for hundreds of students and their families each year (Student Programs);
- Online programming that inspires innovation and ensures the continuation of a skilled cadre of teachers of the gifted throughout the state (Educator Programs);
- Ongoing research that encompasses the development of best practices for gifted planning, programming, teaching, and outreach (Center Staff and Educators' Ambassadors Program);
- Outreach to parents that builds support systems, offers guidance for the social-emotional and vocational needs of gifted students, and builds a network of families advocating for their children in their local community and beyond (Parent Programs).
Click on the plus sign below to see an overview of the many services offered for students, parents, and educators.
Karnes Center Services
Our goal is to enhance the lives of students who have gifts in the areas of cognition, academics, arts, and leadership by providing services to the students, their parents, and their educators.
PK-12 Student Services
Student programs at The Karnes Center provide unique learning opportunities that challenge students to explore exciting topics taught through an integration of multiple academic and practical areas of study. Courses are infused with accelerated academic content that will stretch the imagination and fascinate the interests of our students.
- Young Gifted Students Program
- Summer In the Middle Program
- Saturday Gifted Studies Program
- Summer Gifted Studies Program
- Leadership Studies Program
- Summer Program for Academically Talented Youth
- Summer Program for Artistically Talented Youth
Parents of gifted students have questions. The Karnes Center is here to help.
Parenting Workshops and networking opportunities are available at various times throughout the year and provide the opportunity to seek information about a wide range of topics. Areas presented recently include: discipline and time management, working with your school, fi preparing your child for specialized programs, and more.
- Parenting Gifted Children Workshop Series (January)
- Munch and Muse Mondays (March)
The Karnes Center's Facebook Group is a great place to meet and collaborate with other parents as well.
From the start, The Karnes Center's mission has involved providing outstanding training opportunities for educators. Whether you attend a workshop, take a course with us, or become a Karnes Ambassador, you can depend on us to provide you with reliable tools to use with the gifted students in any classroom.
- Day of Sharing for Teachers
- Teacher Development Program
- Karnes Ambassadors Program
Discover the exciting world of working with gifted students and help them reach their highest potential.