Gulf Park Fitness Center
119 Beach Park Place
Long Beach, MS 39560
FITNESS COORDINATOR: William Jinske, William.JinskeFREEMississippi
The Gulf Park Fitness Center on the Gulf Park campus is housed in a two-building,
4,323-square-foot complex featuring cardio machines, free weights, outdoor exercise
apparatus, functional training equipment and group exercise classes. A variety of
Group Exercise classes are available to members at no extra charge and include such
classes as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Yoga, Zumba and Pound.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
The Gulf Park Fitness Center is open seven days a week, with the exception of holidays. Fitness Center members must use their USM ID to swipe their card to gain entrance into the center from Friday through Sunday. Members will need to sign a waiver in order to obtain weekend-use privileges.
Monday-Thursday 6 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. *with signed weekend release and USM ID swipe access
Saturday 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. *with signed weekend release and USM ID swipe access
Sunday 12 p.m. - 6 p.m. *with signed weekend release and USM ID swipe access
The Gulf Park Fitness Center offers a variety of state of the art commercial exercise equipment, including:
- Complete circuit of selectorized strength equipment
- A variety of dumbbells
- Free weights
- Lifting benches
- Recumbent and upright bikes
- Cross trainers & accessories such as plyo-boxes
- Yoga mats
- Hand weights
- Battle ropes
The Gulf Park Fitness Center offers a variety of fitness and recreational special events throughout the year. Our special events include but are not limited to:
- Golden Eagle Activity Addicts cardiovascular incentive program
- Last Man/Woman Standing
- 5K Run/Walk
- Functional Fitness Challenge Course: Located in the green space between the Fitness Center's Strength and Cardio buildings.
- Basketball and Tennis Courts: Located northwest of the Auditorium next to the Physical Plant building on campus.
- Disc Golf Course: Located directly north of the Science Building in the green space on campus periodically used for overflow parking.
- Outdoor Equipment: The Gulf Park Fitness Center offers a wide variety of equipment for check-out at no cost to Fitness Center members. Equipment available includes, but is not limited to: paddleboards, bicycles with helmet, basketballs, footballs, tennis rackets and balls, soccer balls, etc. In addition, kayaks are available for check-out by contacting Devin Bellman, Volunteer Services/Community Outreach, at 228.214.3400 or via email at Devin.BellmanFREEMississippi.
GULF PARK FITNESS CENTER POLICIES
FITNESS CENTER MEMBERSHIP AND USAGE
- Persons must present a University of Southern Mississippi identification card or an identification card issued by the fitness center each time you enter the facility to utilize the equipment, programs and services the fitness center has to offer.
- The fitness center and the University of Southern Mississippi will not be held liable for any personal belongings, injuries or death. Please be aware that you are using the fitness center at your own risk. Management is not responsible for any injury you may suffer. An AED and other first aid supplies are available if necessary. No medications for pain or illness will be dispensed by the fitness center staff.
- Full time Southern Mississippi Gulf Park campus student have automatic use privileges paid through their student activity fee. Memberships are available to USM faculty and staff, as well as to the community for a nominal fee. Refer to Membership categories and options available on this website for specific costs for various membership lengths. A Payroll Deduction membership option is available to USM faculty and staff.
- The fitness center employees have the right to deny membership or entry. Any member's fitness center privileges that have been revoked will not be allowed entry.
- Surveillance cameras monitor the fitness center. Upon signing the membership form, you agree to be filmed. This footage may be used at the discretion of the fitness center.
- Members are responsible for keeping all equipment in the condition it was in prior to use. You will be subject to a fine of up to $10,000 for damaging equipment. Please clean each piece of equipment after use with the wet wipes provided.
- If you do not return fitness center owned items that were checked out by the due date, a fine in the amount of the item’s worth will be charged to your Fitness Center account of which you will be responsible for payment in full.
- Your fitness center membership payment is exclusive to the Gulf Park Fitness Center, and will not grant you regular access to any other fitness center, such as the Payne Center.
- It is the member’s responsibility to know his/her limitations and what equipment to use within their limitations. Free equipment orientations are available with a Fitness Center staff member upon request.
- No horseplay or loitering permitted in the fitness center.
- Proper athletic exercise attire is required. Attire must consist of closed-toed athletic shoes, athletic pants or shorts and shirt that covers the midriff. Sports bras and t-shirts cut down the side exposing the midriff area are not permitted. No bare feet, flip-flops, sandals or other slip-on footwear permitted when using fitness equipment.
- Members should always use a spotter when using free weights. Please ask the Fitness Center staff member to spot for you if necessary.
- Collars must be used on weight bars at all times and the use of chalk is not permitted in the weight room.
- Members are expected to keep the weight room in order and free from potential injury by returning all dumbbells and weight plates to their proper storage rack location.
- Members are expected to assist in keeping the fitness center equipment clean and sanitized. Sanitizing wipes are provided in various wall dispensers locations throughout the fitness center and are to be used to wipe off each piece of equipment after use.
- No food or beverages other than water or sports drinks are permitted in the fitness center, unless part of an approved event.
- The playing of external music devices are not permitted in the fitness center. Members wishing to play their own music must wear headphones at all times.
- Children of a primary member must be a minimum of 16 years of age to be eligible for membership or purchase a daily guest pass of $5 to use the fitness center and its equipment with their supervising parent. Any child under 16 years of age may accompany their parent member when personal circumstances arise, but must be a spectator only. Use of any of the fitness equipment is prohibited.
- No private instruction or personal training of members or guests is allowed in the fitness center. The only approved private instruction is by fitness center employees.
MEMBERSHIP GUEST POLICY
- Fitness Center members are permitted to sponsor one guest per visit at $5. Member’s guest must be a minimum of 16 years of age and present identification for proof of age and complete a separate guest release form.
- Southern Miss Alumni are allowed to purchase a membership to the Gulf Park Fitness Center. Alumni must be a current member of the Southern Miss Alumni Association to be eligible for fitness center membership.