The Leadership Experience Program
Develop and Hone Your Leadership Skills
The Leadership Experience provides students with a comprehensive, hands-on learning experience that focuses on leadership theory, practice, and development. Participants will have opportunities to learn about leadership foundational theories and their day-to-day application, explore social responsibility and citizenship, and develop a personal leadership philosophy and vision for continued development as a leader. Successful completion of the program will result in an official notation on your Southern Miss transcript and the receipt of a certificate signed by the University president and provost.
What will I learn?
The Leadership Experience is a great opportunity for you to enhance your existing leadership skills.
- You will gain critical leadership and personal development skills that will help you excel personally and professionally, both inside and outside of the classroom.
- At the end of the program, you’ll have a professional portfolio documenting your experiences that you can share with potential employers or graduate schools.
- The Leadership Experience is open to all USM students with a desire to further develop and hone their leadership skills. Special scholarships or memberships are not required.
Do you have a question about the Leadership Experiences certificate? Click above to
get the contact information for the program coordinator.
Participate in Leadership Experiences Outside of Class
To complete the certificate, you must engage in a leadership experience outside of class. Potential leadership experiences include:
- Organizing an initiative or event with others
- Attending an Alternative Spring Break trip
- Serving as president of a student organization
- Participating in Study Abroad
- Performing 2+ hours of service a week with the same agency, minimum total of 20 hours
- Present at a conference with a team
|The Leadership Experience Certificate||Hattiesburg|
How do I sign up?
Students wishing to begin the certificate program or those who want to see what it is all about should enroll in IDS 181 for the fall semester. To officially enter the Leadership Experience Program, you will need to submit the online Change of Major/Minor form. The abbreviation for our program is "TLECP," but you do not need this form to enroll in IDS 181. If you have more questions, email leadershipFREEMississippi.