Marine Education Center
Shaggy's Angler Camp
Fish Mississippi Coast Saltwater Habitats Everyday!
Fishing, fishing, fishing and even more fishing at the week long summer camp. Young anglers fish everyday with our expert saltwater fishing educational team. Spend a week with our marine educators and learn a lifetime of saltwater fishing techniques. Participants explore fish biology and behavior and how weather, wind, moon and tides affect fishing. During the week, anglers will learn how to throw a net to catch bait and how to target speckled trout, redfish and flounder. Participants will fish a variety of saltwater habitats aboard vessels and at the islands.
Angler Camp Handbook
Grades 7th - 12th — $450 | June 17-21 or June 24-28
In Shaggy's Angler Camp you will:
- Master the basics of fishing the Gulf Coast for speckled trout, redfish, flounder, white trout, and other fish.
- Interact with GCRL scientists in the lab and on the water to learn about fish biology and behavior.
- Learn how weather, wind, moon, and tides affect fishing.
- Learn to recognize good spots to fish.
- Find out how to catch your own bait.
- Learn about conservation and fishing regulations.
- Go fishing on GCRL and chartered vessels.
- Learn to clean and cook your catch.
Online Registration - Registration for Shaggy's Angler Camp is offered only online. Paper forms are no longer used. University faculty, staff and students recieve 10% Discount on camp tuition!
The fee is $450 per student. Camp registration requires a $100 non-refundable deposit.
For more information, contact the Marine Education Center by email or call 228.818.8095.