Summer Field Program
Make your plans today to attend the GCRL School of Ocean Science and Engineering Summer Field Program and gain an experience of a lifetime!
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL) School of Ocean Science and Engineering
provides undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to learn about coastal
environments in an intensive field and lab based setting. Located at the Gulf Coast
Research Lab (GCRL), on-site amenities include research vessels, dormitory, dining
hall, research labs, library, and a specimen museum. Classes are extremely intense
and immerse you in the subject matter. Most classes are conducted in a focused laboratory
and field setting. Courses that include heavy field work utilize the GCRL fleet of
research vessels to explore the Mississippi Sound and barrier islands. In addition
to local boat and field trips, some classes take overnight trips to other areas of
the Gulf of Mexico. Students fully embrace the beautiful Gulf and the unique habitats
in our area.
The Summer Field Program takes place during USM’s summer Session I (June term) and Summer Session II (July term). Summer Session I is May 30-June 28. Summer Session II is June 29-July 28.
Summer Session I: May 30-June 28
- COA301: Marine Biology (5 cr)
- COA448: Barrier Island Ecology (3 cr) half-term course
- COA444: Cetacean Behavior (3 cr) half-term course
- COA422: Elasmobranch Biology (Shark Biology) (6 cr)
- COA443: Marine Mammals (5 cr) (ONLINE)
Summer Session II - June 29-July 31
- COA300: Oceanography (5 cr)
- COA421: Marine Ichthyology ( 6 cr)
- COA446: Marine Ecology (5 cr)
- COA450: Marine Conservation (5 cr)
- COA490: Marine Toxicology (5 cr) (ONLINE)
4 things are needed to complete your application to SFP:
- Apply Here
- $45 non-refundable application processing fee for undergraduate students. Make Check payable to The University of Southern Mississippi. Electronic payments cannot be accepted. Please mail payment to address below.
- Copy of immunization records.
- Official transcript showing fall 2022 final grades.
Immunization record and official transcript may be mailed to address below or sent electronically to sfpFREEMississippi.
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
Summer Field Program, Attn: Laura Blackmon
703 East Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
*Current USM students only need to fill out the application and do not need to submit app fee, immunization record, or official transcript.
- To apply, email sfpFREEMississippi or call 228.818.8812.
Fees and Costs
All students must have a valid University of Southern Mississippi parking permit. Parking permits can be purchased online through the University of Southern Mississippi Parking and Transit Services website: usm.edu/parking. USM students with a valid annual permit do not need to purchase a summer permit for GCRL. If students are taking classes for more than one term, they do not need to purchase more than one parking permit.
A limited number of assistantships and scholarships are available to qualifying students attending the GCRL Summer Field Program. In the spring 2023 semester, all students that have applied to the program will receive an email with instructions on how to apply for scholarships.
If a student has a disability that qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and requires accommodations, he/she should contact the Office for Disability Accommodations (ODA) for information on appropriate policies and procedures. Disabilities covered by ADA may include learning, psychiatric, physical disabilities, or chronic health disorders. Students can contact ODA if they are not certain whether a medical condition/disability qualifies.
The University of Southern Mississippi
Office for Disability Accommodations
118 College Drive # 8586
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Voice Telephone: 601.266.5024 or 228.214.3232
Individuals with hearing impairments can contact ODA using the Mississippi Relay Service at 1.800.582.2233 (TTY) or email ODA at odaFREEMississippi.
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory's air-conditioned dormitory houses two students per room. Suites consist of four rooms and a common bathroom facility. Requests for housing are filled as received. Married couples must make their own arrangements for off-site housing. All rooms have Internet access via WiFi. For more housing information please contact Benjamin.WeldonFREEMississippi.
The dining hall serves three meals daily. Students should bring linens, towels, and clothing suitable for field work, such as shorts, bathing suits, hat, long-sleeved shirt and light-weight pants, washable athletic shoes, polarized sunglasses as well as a good sunblock. Laundry facilities are available on-site.
Dormitory stays typically provide excellent opportunities to meet other students, as well as to engage in study groups, water sports, fishing, golf, tennis, biking, weight lifting, aerobics, and hiking that form some of the many summer pastimes on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
The community of Ocean Springs, as well as the neighboring cities of Biloxi, Gulfport, Gautier, and Pascagoula provide ample opportunities for shopping, banking, dining, and recreation. New Orleans is less than two hours away by care. Mobile, Alabama is about an hour drive.
Summers are hot on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and students should be prepared to protect themselves from intense sunshine. Bring a good sunblock, hat, sunglasses and a reusable waterbottle.
POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON LABORATORY GROUNDS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
All courses are offered through the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in the Division of Coastal Sciences and are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Upon completion, a transcript request must be submitted to transfer credit hours to home institution.
- MISSISSIPPI – Alcorn State University, Lorman; Belhaven College, Jackson; Delta State University, Cleveland; Jackson State University, Jackson; Millsaps College, Jackson; Mississippi College, Clinton; Mississippi State University, Mississippi State; Mississippi University for Women, Columbus; Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena; Rust College, Holly Springs; The University of Mississippi, University; The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg; William Carey University, Hattiesburg
- ALABAMA – Auburn University, Auburn
- ARKANSAS – Arkansas Tech University, Russellville; Hendrix College, Conway; Southern Arkansas University, Magnolia; University of Arkansas at Ft. Smith; University of Arkansas at Little Rock; University of Arkansas at Monticello; University of Central Arkansas, Conway; University of the Ozarks, Clarksville
- FLORIDA – University of Tampa, Tampa
- GEORGIA – Berry College, Rome; Shorter College, Rome
- ILLINOIS – North Central College, Naperville; Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- INDIANA – University of Evansville, Evansville
- IOWA – Drake University, Des Moines; Iowa State University, Ames; Wartburg College, Waverly
- KENTUCKY – Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond; Morehead State University, Morehead
- LOUISIANA – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge; Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond; Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans
- MICHIGAN – Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
- MISSOURI – Central Methodist University, Fayette; Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville; Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau; Missouri State University, Springfield; Truman State University, Kirksville
- NEW YORK – State University of New York, Potsdam
- OHIO – Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green
- OKLAHOMA – Northeastern State University, Tahlequah; Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford
- SOUTH CAROLINA – Presbyterian College, Clinton
- TENNESSEE – Belmont University, Nashville; Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City; Christian Brothers University, Memphis; Lambuth University, Jackson; Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro; Rhodes College, Memphis; Tennessee State University, Nashville; Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville; Tennessee Wesleyan College, Athens; Trevecca-Nazarene University, Nashville; Union University, Jackson; University of Memphis, Memphis; University of Tennessee at Chattanooga; University of Tennessee at Martin
- WISCONSIN – University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire; University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point