Why Choose Bassoon Studies at Southern Miss?
- Private Lessons: Weekly lessons provide the opportunity for concentrated study in all aspects of bassoon performance, including tone development, technique, interpretation, style and expression, with special attention to the historical context of the material being studied. A curriculum will be developed for each student based on his/her level and will consist of tone and technical exercises, etudes, solo bassoon repertoire, chamber music, orchestral excerpts, reed making, and other necessary materials.
- Studio Class: Held weekly, this class provides opportunities to perform, have special discussions, play in small ensembles, listen to each other, and for other performance and pedagogical activities.
- Reed Class: This class provides an opportunity for students to learn necessary reed-making techniques, as well as to share ideas, tools, and equipment with other members of the studio.
Ensembles & Performance Opportunities
Bassoon students have the opportunity to perform with multiple ensembles on campus, as well as around the community of Hattiesburg and throughout the region. Ensembles include:
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphonic Winds, Concert Band, University Band
- USM Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Music
- Woodwind Recital Class
- General Recital Class
- Concerto competitions with the USM Symphony and the Wind Ensemble
- Regional orchestras
Double Reed Workshop
February 26, 2022
We are so excited to welcome you to campus for this very special event. If you are coming to Hattiesburg the day before, you are welcome to attend the master classes for college students generously given by our special guests Scott Pool and Rachel Messing, as well as their evening recital. These events are not officially part of the Workshop, but are open to the public and we would love to have you.
Our schedule for the weekend is as follows:
Friday, February 25
|4:00 p.m. -5:30 p.m.||College student master classes with Scott Pool and Rachel Messing|
|6:00 - 7:00 p.m.||Guest artist recital, Marsh Auditorium|
Saturday, February 26
|10:00 - 10:30 a.m.||Opening concert|
|10:30 - 11:15 a.m||Double reed ensemble rehearsal|
|11:15 a.m - 12:00 p.m.||Instrument Repair Class with Wes Lee|
|12:00 - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch/shop vendor booth|
|12:45 - 1:30 p.m.||Master classes with Dr. Woolly and Dr. Kaunitz|
|1:30 - 2:30 p.m.||Reed adjusting (bassoons), Singing Through Your Reed (oboes)|
|2:30-3:15 p.m.||Double reed ensemble rehearsal|
|3:30-4:00 p.m.||Final concert|