- Schedule an audition by clicking here. You must fill out the online registration for the audition date that will fit your
- If none of the scheduled dates will accommodate your schedule, you can contact the
Choral Activities Office at 601.266.4892 or email the Director of Choral Activities
- Music majors must prepare two pieces to sing for the choral/vocal faculty. One of those
selections must be of the fine arts/classical style. The other piece may be in the
style of your choosing.
- Non-majors wishing to participate in Choral Activities must sing one piece. It is preferred
that this piece be of the fine arts/classical style.
- Auditions will also include simple vocal exercises and sight-reading.
- Under extenuating circumstances, auditions via electronic submission may be accepted
for those who are unable to travel to campus. A follow-up letter will be mailed to
confirm results of each audition.
- Scholarships are available to students (singers and pianists) in the form of SERVICE
AWARDS. Music majors, non-music majors, undergraduates, and graduate students are
eligible to receive these stipends.
- Participation in a large ensemble (Southern Chorale, Concert Choir, Women's Chorus,
or Southern Miss Men , all including the Hattiesburg Choral Union) is a primary requirement
of these scholarships.
- Multiple audition days are held each year to determine awards for the following fall. Awards
are given for each calendar year and are renewable if requirements are met.
- Service Awards are granted on the basis of the student’s musical ability and potential,
teacher recommendation, desire and attitude, and the needs of the student. Awards
generally range from $400 to $2,000 annually, good for up to five years, with the
higher awards offered to truly exceptional students majoring in music. Awards are
made to students of all majors.
- The University of Southern Mississippi provides additional financial assistance to
academically talented students. Students with special financial needs should call
The University’s Financial Aid Office at 601.266.4774 or by visiting choose.usm.edu.