Southern Miss offers one of the most comprehensive vocal music programs in the Southeast.
- A College that is fully accredited in the arts including music, art, theatre, and dance
- A 40-member music faculty of dedicated teacher-artists
- Professional, experienced voice teachers and professional stage directors
- An active opera program presenting fully staged productions each year
- Frequent master classes and performances by musicians of international stature
- Performed and presented at the 55th National Conference of the National Association of Teachers of Singing – June 2018. Performed with Dr. Lois Leventhal, pianist.
- Performed with USM Voice Faculty Artist, Dr. Jonathan Yarrington, and Guest Faculty Artist, Dr. Jamie Reimer, in Special Presentation of the Songs of Robert Owens titled: Robert Owens: The Man and His Music, October 29, 2018.
Olivia Morrow, MM graduate student, soprano
- Finalist (2nd Place winner) at the Regional NATS Conference, Natchitoches, LA, Northwestern State University, November 10 (8-10), 2018.
- Awarded major role of “Giannetta” for upcoming USM School of Music opera production of L’Elisir d’Amore by Gaetano Donizetti.
- Among finalist chosen to sing for the National NATS Audition in Summer of 2019 – should she accept.
Danielle Watson, soprano, MM graduate student
- Awarded understudy of major role of “Adina” in upcoming USM School of Music opera production of L’Elisir d’Amore by Gaetano Donizetti.
- Sings Um Mitternacht by Gustave Mahler, with DMA Candidate in Wind Conducting graduate student Mark Johnson, conductor, and wind ensemble, October 29, 2018.
- Sings Ellington’s Praise God and Dance from his “Sacred Concerts Series”, for USM’s Choral Activities Southern Invitational Choral Conference, September 2018.
Sylvalia Brown, mezzo-soprano, Undergraduate Junior
- Wins top prize $1,000 Scholarship at the Young Artists Vocal Competition sponsored by the Gulf Coast Messiah Chorus, October 27, 2018.