School of Ocean Science and Engineering
Boat Usage Guidelines
The USM Division of Marine Science has vehicles and boats available for legitimate division functions including research and instruction. All vehicle and boat use must be paid for. If you are uncertain whether a particular use is legitimate or whether the division will pay for it rather than a grant, ask before reserving the vehicle/boat. After you reserve a boat, you will need to file a float plan when trip details are firm.
- Boat Reservations (USM - Stennis Network Only) - For outside the USM - Stennis Network, please e-mail marine.scienceFREEMississippi
- Float Plan (USM - Stennis Network Only)
- Ford F-350 extended cab truck should only be used if absolutely necessary. This truck is our only vehicle capable of towing the Le Moyne and that use has first priority for the F-350.
- The mileage rate for trucks and van (for passenger transport as well as trailering of boats) is the same as the federal mileage reimbursement rate ($0.54/mile). A Fuelman card accompanies all vehicles for fuel purchases: make sure the gas station you stop at accepts Fuelman before filling up and log the receipt.
- Never fill up boats with Fuelman card!
- Log fuel purchase in log book
- Place receipt in book
- The division has a forklift in Building 1029 for operations in and around that building. You must have been trained and authorized by the department in order to use the forklift.
- For boat and associated vehicle usage fees contact marine.scienceFREEMississippi.
- USM users MUST file a float plan before we will release a boat to you. This directory also includes boat operations procedures and pre-cruise checklists. You may fuel DMS vehicles at the SSC service station and pay for the fuel using a USM Purchasing Card. This is the only location where PCards are authorized to pay for fuel.