USM Can is an anti-litter initiative launched in 2015 by the Southern Miss Physical
Plant, The Office of Sustainability and the Student Government Association. ADOPT
A SPOT is a sub-program of the initiative in which individuals or groups can volunteer
to adopt a spot on campus and clean up that spot at least once per semester. The goal
of this program is to keep our campus litter-free and instill a sense of pride in
the beauty of Southern Miss for all who call it home.
What Do You Have To Do?
- Select a spot(s) to be maintained for at least one semester.
- Complete the application and return it to physicalplantFREEMississippi or Box #5058 via campus mail.
- Photocopy the waiver & release of liability form to be signed by all participants
before the cleanup.
- Notify the Physical Plant prior to your planned cleanup time and pick up your supplies.
- Get started!
- Place litter-filled gold trash bags on the ground next to trash cans in your designated
cleanup area for easy pick up by Physical Plant staff.
Here’s what volunteers can expect to receive:
- Certificate of adoption/recognition
- Supplies such as trash bags and gloves
- Recognition via the Southern Miss social media accounts
- Make sure you have signed the Waiver & Release of Liability Form.
- Wear gloves and appropriate footwear (closed-toe shoes if possible).
- Only complete planned Adopt A Spot activities in daylight hours and during appropriate
weather conditions. Tip: Schedule a rain date in advance.
- Conduct a safety meeting for all participants prior to each cleanup.
- Stay hydrated.
- Be courteous.
- Pick up dead animals or attempt to move an injured animal.
- Pick up syringes, needles, sharp objects, or any waste material of which you are not
- Do not pick up items that are too large to remove safely.
Download the ADOPT A SPOT application. (PDF)
Download the ADOPT A SPOT map. (PDF)
If you have any questions, contact the ADOPT A SPOT coordinator at 601.266.4415.