Instructions for Moderators
Issues or questions? Email Dr.%20Sabine%20Heinhorst or call 601.266.4710 (prior to symposium).
- Please familiarize yourself with the titles of presentations in your panel and the presenters’ names prior to the event.
- On the day of the symposium, please arrive at least 15 minutes before the beginning of your assigned panel and sign in at the Judges and Moderators table (Scianna Hall lobby) so we know you have arrived and can give you your registration
bag, nametag, and a laser pointer.
- Please go to the room for your panel early enough to check on technology, make sure all presenters are present, ask them how to pronounce their names, clarify the pronunciation of unfamiliar words
in their presentation titles, upload their presentations ahead of time, etc. If you
encounter technical difficulties, please contact Dr. Heinhorst or send someone to
the Judges and Moderators table!
- Please check before the session begins that the judges assigned to your session are present; if not, contact Dr. Heinhorst or someone at the Judges and Moderators Table.
- At the beginning of the session, please introduce yourself, explain your role and the process you will be using to keep time. Let the presenters
know how you will signal to them that their time is almost over. Remind the audience
of the arts showcase (4:00 pm) and the awards ceremony (5:00 pm), both in the Scianna
- Please introduce the presenters by their full name, major and presentation title. If you wish to add additional
information when you introduce them, you may do so.
- Even if this is not conventional in your discipline, please introduce each paper and student one at a time, with Q&A to follow each presentation. Students will be judged on how they field questions, so we need to be sure that
each student has a chance to do so!
- Be sure to have a question or two ready for each presenter, in case no one else in the room asks one!
- Please mark time carefully! Presentations should be 12 minutes long, followed by
3 minutes for Q&A. To maintain the UGS schedule throughout the day, each panel must begin and end on
- After the last presentation, please delete the presentations from the desktop computer (if applicable), collect the UGS laser pointer and return it to the Judges and Moderators table in the lobby.