The Payne Center has reopened for patrons. Please see below for our January Interim
pool hours and programming.
To view a PDF of our Spring 2021 Natatorium Schedule (January 20-May 7, 2021), click
here: Natatorium Spring 2021 Schedule
(scroll below for pool rules)
Swim Lesson Information and Registration - (online form)
Swimming Pool Policies
- A lifeguard must be properly positioned in the stand before swimmers can enter the
- Child Policy: Children 12 years and older that can successfully pass a swim test may
be left in the pool area alone. All children under the age of 12 or cannot successfully
pass a swim test must be accompanied by their guardian.
- Children who cannot swim must be within arm's reach of an adult. A lifeguard will
determine the skill level of the child by how well the child completes the swim test.
(Child must swim across the shallow end of the pool without stopping and without touching
the bottom of the pool.)
- Swim diapers or plastic pants are required for children who wear diapers.
- It is recommended that all swimmers take a shower before entering the pool.
- All swimmers must wear a bathing suit; cotton attire of any kind, pants, or cutoff
jeans are not allowed. Bathing suit material and/or moisture-wicking materials ONLY.
- No flotation devices of any kind are allowed in the deep end unless their guardian (that has successfully
passed the swim test) is in the deep end with them. Exception: Aqua jogger belts may
be used for exercising in the deep end. For your safety, only U.S. Coast Guard approved
flotation devices are allowed.
- Do not hang or swim across the lane lines.
- No food, drink or trash shall be permitted within ten feet of the pool. Except plastic water bottles with lids - for lap swimmers.
- No glass articles in or around the pool.
- Patrons with open sores, lesions, eye, ear, nose or throat infections may be restricted
from swimming at the discretion of the lifeguard. Please do not swim if you are aware of a condition that could be transmitted to others
- No running, rough play, or excessive noise in the Natatorium, showers or locker rooms.
- No spitting, spouting of water or blowing nose in the pool.
- Long distance underwater swimming, hyperventilation, and static apnea (excessive holding
of breath) are prohibited.
- No pets allowed, other than a guide dog.
- The pool's RED PHONE is to be used only for emergencies.
- The Department of Recreational Sports will not be held responsible for the loss or
theft of any personal belongings.
- Patrons using the facility are expected to comply with the requests of the Lifeguard
and all other Aquatics staff members. To ensure your safety and enjoyment, the Lifeguards
have the authority and responsibility to enforce all rules and regulations.
- The use of "mermaid tails" that restrict the movement of the swimmers legs is prohibited.
Please ask a lifeguard if you are needing further clarification.
- If you are a person with a disability and would like to use the back gate as an entrance
to the natatorium, please email Bill%20Powe, Aquatics and Outdoor Adventures Coordinator, to schedule an appointment.
Diving Board Policies
- Jump forward off the board. Do not dive off the side and/or backwards.
- Only front flips are allowed off the diving boards; NO back flips.
- Only one (1) bounce is allowed. No running to the end of the board is permitted.
- Only one (1) person is allowed on the diving board at a time.
- The area below must be clear of all persons before diving.
- Swimming in the diving area is only allowed when there is no diving activity occurring.
- Divers should surface immediately and return to the edge of the pool.
- Divers should not cross over in front of another diving board. They should only use
the ladder that is closest to their diving board.
Swim Lesson Policies
- The Natatorium doors on the M.K. Turk Circle should be used as the entry and exit
for swim lessons.
- Parents and/or guardians must stay in the Natatorium, seated on the bleachers, throughout
the participant's lesson.
- Participants are not allowed to be in the water unless their instructor is present.
- The Payne Center does not allow opposite sex children in the locker rooms at any time.
Parents and/or guardians needing to assist opposite sex children are to use the Universal
Changing Rooms (2) located on the pool deck.
- No parents or guardians are allowed in or around the water during lessons; unless
they are registered for the Parent and Child Aquatics Swim Lessons.
- All participants must wear appropriate attire for swim lessons. This includes a swim
suit and water proof/designed diapers for students who normally wear diapers.
- No flotation devices are to be worn during swim lessons.
Circle Swimming Diagram
- The below diagram shows the correct direction to swim during lap swim when there are
two people in one lane.