Skip navigation

Financial Aid

Student Grievance Reporting

Page Content

The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, first professional, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of The University of Southern Mississippi. The Commission is to be contacted if there is evidence that appears to support the University’s significant noncompliance with a requirement or standard. Numerous degree programs are accredited by professional, disciplinary accrediting agencies. For additional information about individual programs, standards, accreditation documents, state license and NC-SARA documents, contact the Office of the Provost.

Student Complaints

The University has various appeals processes associated with academic and student affairs policies. Institutional Effectiveness provides guidance as to such appeals and complaint procedures. In addition, students or University employees may report possible noncompliance with respect to a SACS requirement or standard, as described above. Students or employees may report a complaint related to ethical misconduct, particularly actions involving suspected illegal use of state resources, to the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning via an EthicsPoint reporting system, or may report complaints to the Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation.

Online Student Complaint Process

Online students have a specific complaint process. For information about this process, see the Distance Education Authorization page.

Student Procedures: Complaint, Grievance, and Appeals

Formal Resolution of a Student Grievance

In those instances where an informal process is not applicable or where the result of that process is unsatisfactory, the student needs to follow the procedures included in the link below, which require the submission of a written complaint:

Formal Resolution of a Student Grievance

For details on University policies, visit Institutional Policies.

Contact Us

Office of Financial Aid
Kennard-Washington Hall (KWH) 101
118 College Dr. #5101 Hattiesburg, MS 39406

Hattiesburg Campus

Fax 601.266.5769

Campus Map



Contact Us

Student Services One Stop
Gulf Coast Library (GCL) 101
730 East Beach Blvd. 
Long Beach, MS 39560

Gulf Park Campus

Campus Map