About Financial Aid
More than 80 percent of the Southern Miss student population receives some form of
financial assistance, so we understand the importance of acquiring scholarships and
financial aid. Current students and prospective students are encouraged to research
all opportunities for funding, apply by the deadlines, and submit payment in full
or set up a payment plan before the beginning of the academic year or term in which
you plan to attend.
Applying for Financial Aid
There are a few steps that students must take when applying for financial assistance.
Apply for admission or readmission to The University of Southern Mississippi. Applications for selected scholarships are also available online. Be aware of deadlines. Financial aid cannot be processed without a clear admission status.
Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov, which is available October 1st each year. (Apply early: Priority Date is December 15th).
Contact the Office of Financial Aid when you receive your Valid Student Aid Report. Students selected for verification by the Federal Aid Program will need to submit additional information.
Mississippi (MS) residents may apply for state aid, such as the MS Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG) and the MS Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG), at the MS Office of Student Financial Aid Website (msfinancialaid.org/).
Each year the U.S. Department of Education randomly selects a percentage of our student population for a process called verification. If your student is selected for verification, you are encouraged to submit the requested documentation to the Southern Miss Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner. Not doing so may cause a delay in your student being awarded federal financial aid.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Federal Student Aid Program you will receive a communication from the Office of Financial Aid listing what items are required from your to complete the verification process. You can also view your verification items in SOAR under your To-Do-List.
For more detailed information concerning verification and to access the needed verification forms, visit our verification page.
When the Office of Financial Aid receives all necessary documentation you will receive your Financial Aid Offer Notification.
Ensure timely processing of your awards by:
- Accepting your award offer in SOAR.
- All federal student loans will be administered by the Federal Student Aid Program.
- First time borrowers must complete entrance loan counseling and submit a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to the Department of Education.
- Learn more about Loan Processing
Once you've accepted your award, maintain awareness regarding your Financial Aid.
- Be aware of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies required to retain federal and state financial aid each year.
- Be aware of your Rights & Responsibilities.
- Be aware that you must re-apply for federal and state aid each year (forms are typically available in October).
- Be aware of your deadlines and resources.
- Be aware of your total financial aid student loan debt.
- Keep your address and contact information current with Southern Miss.
- Maintain a file of your financial records; keep a copy of all correspondence.