Guidelines and Polices
RESERVATION OF SPACE:
- Any event that is cancelled will be subject to a $50 booking fee. This fee will be
deducted from any deposit received. A fee will be assessed, based on space, if a reservation
cancellation is not received in advance. Any deposit paid will be used as a credit
toward late cancellation fees.
- Cancellations made 30 days or more in advance of the event date will receive a 100%
refund minus the $50 booking fee. Cancellations made within 15-29 days will incur
a 50% fee. Cancellations made within 14 days of the event will incur a 75% fee.
- FORCE MAJEURE:
No party to this Agreement shall be responsible for any delays or failure to perform
any obligation under this Agreement due to acts of God, severe weather events, strikes
or other disturbances, including, without limitation, terrorist acts, declaration
of war in the United States, insurrection, embargoes, infectious disease, governmental
restrictions, acts of governments or legislative authorities, and any other cause
beyond the control of such party. Circumstances will also be considered when restrictions
are placed on travel i.e. curtailment of travel or transportation in the countries/states
of origin of the attendees, preventing at least 50% of the attendees from traveling
to the event. This includes government regulations prohibiting travel to the host
city over the Event dates and/or the issuance of a “Level 3 Travel Warning” by the
Centers for Disease Control that advises travelers explicitly to avoid all non-essential
travel to the host city and which travel advisory is in effect over the Event dates.
An Agreement may be terminated for any of the above reasons by written notice from
the University or the Client. The parties will determine whether rescheduling is possible.
In the event of a cancellation where no rescheduling is possible, any deposits will
be refunded, except to the extent the University has incurred non-refundable out-of-pocket
expenses in connection with the event.
FEES & PAYMENT:
- DEPOSIT: A deposit will be required to confirm an event reservation and will serve
as a credit toward the final bill. Classrooms and outdoor areas require a $50 deposit.
Event space requires a deposit of 25% of the initial quote. This deposit is non-refundable
if the meeting or event is canceled. The deposit does not apply to University or Student Organization events.
- CUSTODIAL FEE: A cleaning fee will be applied to all applicable events. This fee varies
based on event types and sizes. An additional fee may be charged to any event leaving
excessive garbage, spills, etc.
- SERVICE FEE: Applies to any services that fall outside of the regular scope of the
Event Services Staff.
- RESOURCE FEE: Applies to any Meeting or Event that falls outside of the Vision, Mission,
and Values of the University.
- RENTAL FEE: Standard rental fees vary by event space. Regardless of event type, a
rental fee will be incurred by any organization that should charge admission or registration
fees to attendees.
- OVERTIME FEE: If an event requires a facility to operate outside of standard business
hours (8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday), overtime fees will be assessed on a per
hour basis. This fee includes the set-up and tear-down times required.
- INVOICE: Balance of invoiced items and fees are due one week in advance of the scheduled
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT): External organizations approved to host events
at Southern Miss Gulf Park may be subject to Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT),
which is a tax assessed to organizations have that no University participation and/or
attendance and is unrelated to the University's mission.
USM STUDENT ORGANIZATION, DEPARTMENT, OR HOSTED EVENTS:
- Departments may need to provide a budget string prior to the event being confirmed.
- Student Organizations, Departments, and Hosted Events are subject to standard service and
- Events where members of the University administration will be present require a rehearsal.
THEFT AND DAMAGES:
- Customer agrees to be responsible for the costs incurred and paid by USM to repair
or remediate any damage to USM facilities, including furniture, fixtures, equipment,
or other property used by the customer for its event. USM will assume no financial
responsibility for any damaged or stolen personal property provided by the customer,
customer guests, or outside vendors.
FOOD & BEVERAGE:
- Southern Miss Catering is the preferred caterer on the USM Gulf Park Campus.
- Events taking place within Hardy Hall during regular operating hours are required
to use Southern Miss Catering.
- Snacks and refreshments may be provided by the customer if the total cost, including
food and paper goods, is less than $125 and comply with the University snack policy.
Customers must notify Event Services that Food and Beverage will be served to allow
for adequate set-up and clean-up time.
- The Event Services Staff must approve any event serving alcohol, and the customer
agrees to use Southern Miss Catering for all Food and Beverage needs solely.
- Rearrangement, removal, or addition of furnishings or equipment to the facilities
will require pre-approval of the Event Services Staff.
- Tape, tacks, and nails will not be allowed on walls, floors, or carpet in the facilities.
- Decorations are not permitted to be attached, in any manner, to the trees or buildings
on the Gulf Park Campus.
- Any open flame is strictly prohibited on campus property.
- Customer is responsible for any items or furniture used for an outdoor event. These
items are not supplied by, or the responsibility of, The University of Southern Mississippi.
- Internet and Technical Services can be provided through iTech. Please request all
services at least one (1) week before your event. Additional fees may be applied if
the event is outside of regular business hours and if additional equipment is required.
- Customers may not load software onto computers or attempt to circumvent computer security.
Losses incurred because of this violation will be charged to the customer.
- The University is not responsible for the loss of data to viruses or computer/electronic
- Fleming Auditorium events are required to use a third-party vendor of the University's
choosing for all AV needs. Fees vary based on the event.
- Event Services does not supply HDMI adapters for projectors. Please check with a member of Event Services staff to see if your computer will require
an adapter. All projectors require a VGA connection.
- EXTERNAL EVENTS: The University of Southern Mississippi reserves the right to review
and monitor the usage of the University name, marks, and logos. Contact the Office
of University Communications to obtain approval for usage.
- INTERNAL EVENTS: The Office of University Communications requests that all units allow
UC to review communication materials before they are printed.
- STUDENT EVENTS: For assistance with internal publicity or creating a flyer for your
event, contact the Office of Student Affairs. Your Event will be advertised in the
Student Affairs Newsletter.
UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT:
- In the event of an emergency, please contact UPD at 601.266.4986
- University Police will lock and unlock the facilities.
- In the event of a fire alarm, the individual/organization should not attempt to turn
off controls. Alarms ring directly to the fire department.
- If UPD is required for an event, the fee is $32 per hour with a 3-hour minimum charge.
- Funding for some university facilities was partially provided by Harrison County and
its municipalities. Facility rental fees may be waived for any city, county, or government
agency located in Harrison County in these facilities only. To be eligible for this
waiver, 50% or more of the organizations operating budget must be provided by the
cities or county. Please note, while rental fees may be eligible for a waiver, service
fees, and equipment fees still apply.
- Non-profit organizations that provide a 501(c)3 certificate may be eligible for a
50% discount on facility fees. All service and equipment fees will be charged as incurred.
- Insurance may be required for the use of any facility on the Gulf Park Campus. Insurance
requirements do not apply to student or departmental events.
- If applicable, the customer agrees to (a) obtain Event Insurance with at least one
(1) million dollars in liability insurance coverage with "The University of Southern
Mississippi" as a named insurance and (b) provide certification of insurance at least
two weeks before the event. Events that do not comply with this requirement are at
risk of the scheduled event being canceled.
- The University of Southern Mississippi offers all persons equal access to educational,
programmatic and employment opportunities without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation,
disability, pregnancy, gender identity, genetic information, religion, race, color,
national origin and/or veteran status pursuant to applicate state and federal law.
- The customer is responsible for notifying Event Services of any special ADA accommodations
needed at least one (1) week before the event.
- Space is reserved based on half day and full day rates. Spaces are available to be
booked as followed:
- Half day rate (<4 hours)
- Full day rate (>4 hours)
- The University does not provide complimentary storage space for events held on campus.
Please contact Event Services to reserve a storage space if required.
- Use of tobacco in any form, including cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and e-cigarettes/vaping
devices, is prohibited in or on all University-owned, operated, or leased property
- Parking requests must be submitted in writing to Event Services no later than two
weeks before the event date. Reserved parking is based on availability and may incur
fees depending on the number of spots requested.
- Arrangements for shipping/storage of materials before an event must be made one month
in advance by contact Event Services.
Customer shall be responsible for payment of any and all costs and expenses (including
reasonable attorney’s fees) incurred by the University of Southern Mississippi in
enforcing any of Customer’s obligations under this Agreement, including but not limited
to Customer’s payment and indemnification obligations.
*The University of Southern Mississippi reserves the right to change these Guidelines
and Policies at any time without prior notice. In the event that any changes are made,
the revised Guidelines and Policies shall be posted on our website immediately. Please
check the latest information posted to inform yourself of any changes.