School of Library and Information Science
Library and Information Science
Our graduates are professional librarians, archivists, and information specialists who make a positive difference in their communities across the country and internationally. Our fully online programs include some unique features:
- No out-of-state fees - online students pay the same tuition as residents
- No required visits to campus (although we are happy to see students and graduates who drop by for a visit to our beautiful campus and offices)
- British Studies each summer in London, an optional study-abroad course where students may earn 6 elective credit hours
- Synchronous classes meet online once each week in virtual Zoom classrooms where students may see, hear, and interact with the professors (scroll midway down the page to view class schedules, course descriptions).
SLIS Connecting e-journal
LIS Resources @USM Libraries
- Pricing per Semester or Credit Hour
- Textbook Information (choose Hattiesburg campus)
- Financial Aid Office
The mission of the School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) is to prepare qualified individuals for professional roles in libraries, archives, and other information environments with appropriate knowledge and skills to serve the information needs of their communities.
The School of Library and Information Science aspires to promote student success, improve information literacy, and serve diverse populations through excellence in teaching, research, service, and the use of emergent technologies.
The School of Library and Information Science is committed to:
Student-centered Learning: We are committed to cultivating an active, student-centered learning community.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We recognize and value the diversity of modern society and support an inclusive learning environment. We ensure principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion are cultivated to create advocacy for marginalized groups in the pursuit of social justice.
Intellectual Freedom: We embrace the ideals of intellectual and academic freedom and strive to nurture an open, respectful learning environment for the free exchange of ideas.
Service: Because we believe it is a core of the profession, we support service at all levels and encourage ongoing professional development as a means of enhancing skills and knowledge.
Community: We believe in creating, fostering, and participating in learning and research communities that span borders on state, national, and international levels.
Research: We believe research is an essential part of scholarship, not just for creation of new knowledge but for support of teaching and learning and sharing of new knowledge with multiple communities of interest.
Check out the current SLIS Graduate Student Handbook, Policies and Procedures. (PDF)
SLIS Undergraduate Handbook, Policies and Procedures (PDF)
Check out the Registrar's Office Academic Calendar for important dates.
Tentative Class Schedules (Subject to Change)
Summer 2022 Undergraduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Summer 2022 Graduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Fall 2022 Undergraduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Fall 2022 Graduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Spring 2023 Undergraduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Spring 2023 Graduate Course Schedule (PDF)
Need a computer for our online classes? Using www.dell.com/usm will show you recommended laptops and provides the following benefits:
- Discounted pricing for USM students (and faculty/staff personal purchases). It also comes with Dell credits (E-Gift cards) for peripherals.
- 4-Year accidental damage extended warranty.
a. Covers ANY damage to the device for 4 years and allows complete replacement once per year.
b. They will send technicians on site to make repairs within one or two days.
- Custom configurations available by program.
- The USM student configurations that we have as of this point can be found here: www.dell.com/usm and clicking on the "Shop Recommended Laptops" link.
The University of Southern Mississippi is the only institution in the state with a program accredited by the American Library Association. The School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) offers a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), two graduate certificates, and a Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Science (LIS) entirely online. Our graduates work in a wide variety of settings, including schools, colleges, universities, public libraries, government libraries, corporate libraries, hospitals, military, museums, archives and other information-related environments.
Graduate Programs (100% Online)
- Master of Library and Information Science
- Graduate Certificate in Archives and Special Collections
- Graduate Certificate in Youth Services and Literature
Undergraduate Program (100% Online)