What will I Learn?
In this program you will receive exceptional training in technique, musicianship, chamber music, pedagogy, and literature. Also, student performance opportunities occur:
- weekly, in studio class
- at the end of the semester, during studio recitals and chamber music recitals
- at degree or non-degree recitals
- and for guest artists, when they come each semester and offer masterclasses.
Attaining as much performance experience as possible before graduation is a high priority. Dr. Ciraldo strives to help you find off-campus recitals, travel to competitions and festivals, and more, to maximize their performing potential while at Southern Miss.
- James Reyelt (DMA) was hired last August as professor of music (guitar) at the University of South Alabama and performed this summer at FestivalSouth 2021.
- Alex Gater (MM) was hired last month as adjunct professor of music, teaching guitar and music appreciation, at Pearl River Community College.
- Jerry Cruse (BM 2018) was hired last fall as music instructor at The Music Studio of Gulfport.
Speak to your advisor to see which degree plan is right for you.
|Music (Performance-Strings) BM||Hattiesburg|
|Music Education BMEd||Hattiesburg|
|Music (Jazz Studies) BM||Hattiesburg|
|Music (Performance-Strings) MM||Hattiesburg|
|Music (Performance) DMA||Hattiesburg|
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. We have scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. Scholarships can be stacked with other scholarships offered by the School of Music and/or the Office of Admissions. Some scholarships require a December 1st application deadline. Please apply as early as possible to benefit from the greatest possible scholarships. Contact Dr. Ciraldo for information.
Yes, all prospective students must audition to the School of Music. Contact Dr. Ciraldo for more information.
Please contact Dr. Ciraldo for assistance in finding the right guitar for you. The School of Music also has guitars for rent.