The Southern Miss Piano Institute offers quality education in piano to pre-college
students and adults in the community, while also providing teacher training opportunities
for Southern Miss students who are enrolled in our pedagogy classes.
At the Southern Miss Piano Institute you will work with our dedicated faculty, who
will help you reach your highest potential and equip you with musicianship skills
that can be applied to all areas of music.
What will I Learn?
- You will receive private instruction by taking weekly lessons offered in 30-, 45-,
and 60-minute increments for 14 weeks. For the fall semester of 2020, we are offering
- You will build technique, refine interpretation, and prepare for performances.
- Throughout the year there are numerous opportunities to perform. You will have access
to performance opportunities in Institute recitals, as well as in local festivals
and competitive events in the Gulf South region and beyond.
- Piano Institute Student Recitals: At the end of each semester, the Southern Miss Piano
Institute will hold student recitals.
- Faculty/guest artist recitals: Attendance at performances, including the USM Faculty
and Guest Artist concert series, is strongly encouraged. Please refer to the SOM calendar for details regarding upcoming events.
- Submit the completed registration form.
- Once your registration form has been reviewed, you will be contacted for the purpose
of arranging lessons with one of our faculty members.
- In order to assure an optimal fit between instructor and our students, a simple audition
and discussion of your options in private study may be necessary. Whenever possible,
teacher preferences will be honored.
- Piano Institute Artist-Faculty: Performing artist, terminal degree or equivalent professional experience, full-time
faculty member at USM, ample teaching experience
- Dr. Ellen Price Elder: For more information about instructor rates please contact Dr. Ellen Price Elder,
SMPI Director, at 601.467.9745.
- Piano Institute Master-Faculty: Highly qualified instructors/performers. Master’s degree or equivalent teaching experience.