Frequently Asked Questions

Are there enough parking spaces?

There are enough spaces on both campuses for the number of students, staff, faculty and visitors we have daily at Southern Miss.  The problem is that we do not have as many convenient parking spaces.

Do I need to display a permit if I park on campus?

Yes.  Vehicles parked anywhere on university property require a valid parking permit 24 hours a day.

I only come to campus at night.  Do I need to register for a parking permit?

Yes.  Night students are required to register for a permit just as day students.

What are some ways to avoid getting parking citations?

Purchase your parking permit when you arrive on campus.  Always have your permit properly displayed.  Always park in a legal parking space.  Finally, when in doubt, refer to your parking regulations, observe the parking zone signs around campus, or call the Parking Management Department.

Is my permit transferable to another car?

No. Decals are not transferable. They are registered to a particular vehicle, however hangtags are transferable from one vehicle to another, but not from one person to another.

What happens if my permit is lost or stolen?

You must first contact the Parking Management Department and report the incident.  Then come by the Parking Management Department to obtain a replacement permit.  If a lost or stolen permit is found on a vehicle parked on campus, the vehicle will be towed and violators will be charged.

Does my decal expire on any certain date?

Yes.  Parking permits expire August 15.  The expiration date can be found on each permit.

What happens if I just park there for a minute, or a friend or teacher told me to park there?

If you are in doubt, contact the Parking Management Department for the answer.  A professor or friend may intend to be helpful, but will not be responsible for your citation.  If you even stay for a minute or two, your vehicle is still as illegally parked as if it had been there all day.

What can I do when a parent or friend comes to visit me on campus?

They must obtain a visitor’s pass from the following locations: 

Hattiesburg Campus

To obtain a parking permit and register your vehicle, visit the Information Booth on East Memorial Drive (front entrance of campus) or the Department of Parking Management in McLemore Hall, first floor. Visitors must show a valid driver's license to obtain a visitor’s pass.

Gulf Park Campus

To obtain a parking permit and register your vehicle, visit the Police Department/Parking Management Office. Visitors must show a valid driver's license to obtain a visitor’s pass.

Parking metered spaces require payment regardless of the type permit displayed (i.e. Faculty/Staff, Student, Vendor, or Visitor).

How can I appeal a citation I don’t think I should have received?

Yes.  Students, staff, and faculty can request a hearing.  You must file for a hearing within five calendar days of issuance of the citation.  Hearing forms can be obtained online at the Department of Parking Management.

Have fines changed in price?

Please refer to your current parking regulations for fine structure as fines can change from year to year, or contact the Department of Parking Management.  Up-to-date copies of the parking regulations are always available.

Can students park at meters?

Yes.  Anyone can park in metered parking as long as the meter is paid.  Meter parking is short-term parking for business use by students, staff, and faculty.

Why do you give tickets at night when there is not a parking problem?

The guidelines for parking are in effect at all times, except mandatory tow zones (service areas, fire lanes, handicap spaces, handicap curb cuts, no parking/tow areas) are monitored 24 hours per day. Violation of these areas can possibly create an unsafe environment, and this will not be allowed. Ticket and towing is an accepted method of discouraging illegal parking.