Special Education

Special Ed

Since 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi has served as the flagship for teacher education in our state. Our professors are highly respected as leaders in research and service as it relates to preparing future teachers, and our graduates hold teaching positions across the globe. We are proud and confident because of the foundation they received at Southern Miss.

The Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education prepares individuals to teach or work in several areas of exceptionality. At the undergraduate level, the licensure track program leads to licensure in mild/moderate disabilities (K-12) in the state of Mississippi. The special education undergraduate program requires preparation in mild/moderate disabilities as well as study in one additional areas of emphasis.  The Dual track program leads to licensure in both elementary education and special education to teach in Mississippi.  

  1. Special Education - B.S. (Licensure)
  2. Elementary Education - Special Education - B.S. (Dual)

We do not guarantee to meet the licensure requirements of other states.  You will be responsible for verifying that your program of study meets your desired state’s licensure requirements.

The Professional Education Unit at The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). 

On-site practicums

B.S. students in Special Education who will be seeking teaching licensure are required to complete on-site practicum experiences in special education classrooms.  All students, including online students, are required to attend practicum experiences either in the Hattiesburg or Gulf Coast area during their junior and senior years. 

If you are currently employed in a public school setting as a Special Education teacher’s assistant, you may request an exemption to this requirement by contacting the Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education. 

Student teaching

B.S. students in Special Education who are seeking teaching licensure are also required to complete a one-semester teacher candidacy (student teaching) experience. Students may request a courtesy placement outside of the greater Hattiesburg or Gulf Coast areas when applying for teacher candidacy.