Pathways SUMMER Scholarship Program
To help offset the costs of pursuing an unpaid internship/pathway experience or to
assist with student financial need, The University of Southern Mississippi awards
competitive scholarships to undergraduate students who obtain internship or other approved pathway experiences, such as fieldwork,
research, etc; meet the eligibility and criteria guidelines of the program; and are
selected for participation by the Pathway Scholarship Council. Program requirements
may be modified as necessary to ensure compliance with institutional, state and federal
Log in to the GO System at www.usm.academicworks.com using your SOAR credentials.
Hover over “Opportunities” and Select “Ours”
Search for Pathways Summer Scholarship and click the gold “Apply” button
Students must have already accepted a pathway experience and submit the complete application, by
March 1, 2020.
The application will be evaluated based on the criteria below:
- Evidence of a meaningful experience and involvement in significant professional work
- Evidence that the experience will provide opportunities to apply academic studies
to the work or research experience
- Evidence of preparation by the student for the experience
- Evidence that the experience is related to the student's post-graduation/career goals
- Evidence of financial need to help cover expenses
- Confirmation of internship acceptance (Must have been offered and accepted a pathway
experience before applying for scholarship)
Hours and Weeks
- Preference will be given to students scheduled to graduate in the 12 months following
the application and then to students who will have another year to pursue an internship/pathway
as a Southern Miss undergraduate.
- Student must be returning to Southern Miss as a full-time student after their internship
to be eligible for a Southern Miss Pathway Scholarship.
- International students must include verification that they are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
- Internships/pathways must be full-time (30-40 hours per week) for a minimum of eight
continuous weeks during the SUMMER.
- Alternatives may be considered given equivalent time commitments as applicable.
- Internships on the Southern Miss campus are NOT eligible for a pathway scholarship.
- The Pathways Scholarship Program does not fund workshops, institutes, travel study
programs, study abroad, courses or other learning experiences.
Amounts awarded to the student will vary based upon the amount of funding provided
by the sponsoring organization and the student's demonstration of financial need.