Our faculty are actively involved in research in artificial intelligence, machine
learning, robotics, bio-informatics, image and video processing, cybersecurity, and
broadening participation in computing. Students have the opportunity to work on research
at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
We also host research experiences for K-12 teachers, provide an immersive experience
for computing teachers to understand the applications of computing in the broader
research community. The knowledge they gain is transferable to the K-12 classroom
to help inspire the next generation of computing students and professionals.
Ramie fibers for Biopolymers and Marine-Friendly Plastics
Dr. Partha Sengupta, assistant teaching professor in the School of Computing Sciences
and Computer Engineering at USM is leading a team of scientists who are part of the
Inaugural Cohort of the Mississippi V-Quad Teams - a Mississippi Energy program for
The Sengupta team’s project is titled: Ramie fibers for biopolymers and marine-friendly
plastics. Sengupta points out that during his postdoctoral research on bio-based products
in 2008 at North Dakota State University he learned about a plant named ramie that
produces the world’s strongest natural fibers.
2020 Journal Papers
- A. Alsharif, M. Nabil, A. Sherif, M. Mahmoud and M. Song, "MDMS: Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Multidimension and
Multisubset Data Collection for AMI Networks," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IF: 9.936), vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 10363-10374, Dec.
- M. Nabil, A. Sherif, M. Mahmoud, A. Alsharif and M. Abdallah, "Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Ridesharing
Organization for Transferable and Non-Transferable Services," in IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (IF: 6.864), 2019.
2020 Juried/Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- F. Amsaad, A. Sherif, Dipal Halder, and Mohamed M. E. A. Mahmoud “Efﬁcient and Privacy Aware Hardware-based
Authentication Scheme for AMI Network”, IEEE SoutheastCon 2020, March 12 – 15, 2020 Raleigh, NC, USA.
- M.S. Rana & A.H. Sung, "DeepfakeStack: A Deep Ensemble-based Learning Technique for Deepfake Detection,"
2020 7th IEEE International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing (CSCloud)/2020
6th IEEE International Conference on Edge Computing and Scalable Cloud (EdgeCom), New York City, August 2020, pp.70-75, doi: 10.1109/CSCloud-EdgeCom49738.2020.00021.
- C. Gudla & A.H. Sung, “Moving Target Defense Application and Analysis in Software-Defined Networking,”
IEMCON 2020 (The 11th Annual IEEE Information Technology, electronics and Mobile Communication
Conference, November 4-7, Vancouver).
- Andrew Sung, “Multimedia forensics: Image, Audio, Video,” Keynote Speech, ICAIP 2020 (4th International Conference on Advances in Image Processing, Nov. 13-15,
Chengdu, China) I took the opportunity to also let PhD student M.S. Rana talk about his research
on Deepfake detection.
- Monica McGill, Sarah Lee, Litany Lineberry (2021) Piloting the Air Force JROTC Cyber Academy for High School
Students. 2021 SIGCSE Technical Symposium.
2020 Other Publications and Presentations.
- M. Baza, M. Pazos-Revilla, A. Sherif, M. Nabil, A. ALjohani, M. Mahmoud, W. Alasmary, " Privacy-preserving and Collusion-Resistant
Charging Coordination Schemes for Smart Grids," IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, accepted December 2020.
- Mohamed Elsersy, A. Sherif, Ashraf Darwish, Abu Ella Hassanien, "Digital Transformation and Emerging Technologies
for Fighting COVID-19 Pandemic: Innovative Approaches", chapter published by Springer,